Friday, February 27, 2009

Trees and a Little Reminiscing



It’s beginning to look like a pretty nice day. No jobs for school…however, I’ll make the best of the day. I have a house plant that needs repotting. A trip to Home Depot is in order for a nice clay pot and a fresh bag of soil. Oh, yes, the African Violets are complaining about stale soil and cramped quarters too. Hopefully I can find specialty soils at HD.

This morning, as I was looking for a (per diem) job, my mind drifted to ways I could motivate kids to write. I found some interesting sites which I have bookmarked, but one site stood out. It has beautiful pictures of trees and sun kissed wooded paths, poetry, folk tales, lessons, and much more.

My love of trees probably began when I was very young. Our family home was surrounded by fields and wooded areas. My siblings, neighborhood pals and I could explore for hours, with nary a house in sight. It could be scary if you were alone!
My best friend Brian (there weren’t any girls my age in the neighborhood) and I had a camp in the midst of a circle of Birch trees. The camp floor was a thick, green moss…more luxurious than any rug could ever be. We loved that camp, but like everything else, its time came to an end. Soon a road was built and many new homes sprang up. To this day I still think about that enchanting space in the woods. I would like to create an area somewhere in my backyard. Unfortunately acreage is something Steve and I don’t have. I might have to settle for a mossy area under some Pines.

Well, that’s my story and I’m sticking to it!

Please enjoy this site…… http://www.spiritoftrees.org/spirit_of_trees.html

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, you have been busy with this, way to go, Mrs. B!.